The entire 17th Regiment had not been taken prisoner at Stoney Point. Those men who were on leave at New York were organized into an addition company, bolstered by the arrival of recruits from England, and were placed under the command of Captain-Lieutenant George Cuppaidge of the 17th, who had been at New York on business when Stoney Point was lost. This new company, referred to in primary documentation as the “17th company,” was sent of various duties with the New York garrison until September, when it was placed in the “Provincial Light Infantry” under the command of Lieutenant-Colonel Watson of the Guards.
The 17th Company sailed with the Guards and other reinforcements for Charleston that sailed on October 15, 1780 and stopped off in Hampton Roads, Virginia, for several months of operations. The company was disembarked along with detachments of the Guards and the 82nd Regiment at Portsmouth, Virginia on October 26th and served on various duties throughout the area. When the British evacuated Portsmouth on November 14th, the 17th Company and the Jaegers served as the rear guard and were the last troops to embark. Once the fleet reached Charleston, the 17th was detached along with Watson’s Corps as part of the Charleston garrison and remained active in South Carolina until the end of the war.